We made our Annual Labor Day trip to Oak Island, NC.
Our first trip was in September 2004 when Rosty was only 9-months old and just being to stand up & creep along the edge of furniture. It has been a lot of fun to watch his progression from just playing in the sand, to playing at the edge of the water to boogie boarding and jumping waves.
Charlie was 6 weeks old his first trip to the beach. This year he enjoyed the beach but when he was ready to go inside that was that.
Since Rosty started kindergarten this year we had to incorporate educational opportunities into our vacation. Believe it or not we actually did a lot of things that were educational & Rosty had to do 30 to 45 minutes of school work everyday (this was my decision I know I'm a mean mommy).
This year we went to the Ft. Fisher Aquarium. there were lots of cool exhibits. They had Luna the Albino Alligator and of course there were fish, turtles, jellyfish, stingray, turtles, and the list goes on. I DO NOT like snakes at all but they had a snake exhibit. What was interesting was that they had fed the snakes mice & I really wanted to see the snake eat the mice but he never did.........
We also took the ferry from Southport to Ft. Fisher and back again. On the way there me and Rosty went to the top of the ferry and sat in the indoor lounge. We had the opportunity to talk to one of the crew members while in the lounge.
We also collected shells and tried to ID them & we got to see the turtle nesting area. Lee fished while we were there so there was also fish ID lessons. He even caught a baby shark!
We are very fortunate to be able to go with some good friends of ours. We have done this trip with them since September 2006. The guys fish & the girls hang out & shop. I think the 2 stores I bought something at were the thrift store and the Habit Restore (I'm a big spender). Since my parents live close the boys spent 2 nights with them so we were able to go out and have a kid-free meal one night too!
The unfortunate thing is that the only store that we are close to is a Walmart. We are not really Walmart shoppers but I think we went there 4 times during our 7-day stay....oh well!
I'll post pictures soon from our trip.


No comments:
Post a Comment