Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Magazine junkie

I love magazines! I'm a magazine junkie. When I get a new magazine I read it cover to cover. I get all kinds of magazines- Cookie, Mary Janes Farm, Woman's Day, Real Simple, All For One, Southern Living, Self....I'm sure there are a few more too! I also trade magazines with a lady from work so I get to read Better Homes and Garden & Martha Stewart's Living.

I have noticed in a lot of my magazines lately they are pushing organic in a big way. I do purchase several "organic" things for my family. Yes there is an increase cost but one comment I recently read was you can spend the money on organic now or give it to the doctor later. My biggest expense is organic milk- I pay $5.99 a gallon for milk and I buy 2 gallons a week (at least).

I just wanted to share some of the things that I have been reading and hope that you will think about your eating habits and where your food is coming from. My big push is to support your local farmer. I know there are people like me & Lee everywhere. You can always call me or email me and I will help you find a farmer who raises all natural, no hormones, no antibiotics pork, beef, & chicken. Ask the farmers question. They should have nothing to hide. One thing I am asked a lot is if we have "happy animals." We do! We are actually certified by the AWI (Animal Welfare Institute). We have 3 baby bull calves that we are bottle feeding right now. I love walking to barn in the evening with their bottles and they all run to me. I love to see Rosty call out "Turkey Train" and all the turkeys line up behind him and follow him to their food. So I think I can say we have "happy animals."


So do me a favor and go visit your local farmers market or try www.localharvest.org

Here are 12 fruit/vegetables you should buy organic- nectarines, celery, pears, peaches, apples, cherries, strawberries, imported grapes, spinach, potatoes, bell pepper & red raspberries.

No comments: