Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A Whole Lotta Happy....at the 2009 NC State Fair

It's that time of year again....... The NC State Fair.
Me & Lee were talking about our college days and how much time was spent at the fair with the Animal Science Club activities and all the years that I helped with the Jr. Dairy Show. We joke that we never left the barn and that we did not know there were rides and food outside the Jim Graham Building!
This year we were all set for both of the boys to show turkeys. Early on there was a problem statewide with a high mortality rate with the baby turkeys so they re-issued turkeys. We got our new turkeys and were really looking forward to the boys both showing this year. As the week approached we tried to find transportation for our turkeys. The turkey show was on Friday but the turkeys must be checked in by 6 o'clock the Wednesday before. A friend was going to take them but he would not be there by the cut-off time. So we did not get to show our turkeys this year.
There were 194 participants in the the turkey show. We may be glad that we did not have to sit through that many turkeys...........
We did have a lot of fun at the fair though. I bought tickets on-line prior to going to the fair (much cheaper that way). The boys had a blast riding rides. They loved the kiddie roller coaster. I rode with Rosty & Lee rode with Charlie. I really needed to take a picture of Lee folding himself into the car with Charlie. LOL!!
Last year Charlie was still young and did not really understand what was going on but this year he had a blast. He would just take off running and we would have to chase after him. I put our business card in both of their pockets in case we got separated from them.
One of the things I saw a lot of this year were wheels that you spin and then you get that prize. This really encourages interaction instead of just handing out a pen, pad of paper, etc. We went to the Air Force tent and Rosty spun the wheel. It was a challenge to do 25 push-ups or pull-ups. The young guy asked Rosty if he knew how to do push-ups and he said "No." So they went off to the side and he showed him how to do them and then they did 10 push-ups together. Rosty won a t-shirt for doing the sit-ups.
I have always enjoyed looking at the 4H exhibits & the best of exhibits. There are a lot of talented people out there. A lot of talented children and teenagers too. Rosty enjoyed seeing the Lego entries. I keep saying that I am going to enter something that I have canned into the Fair one year.....maybe one day.
Rosty also enjoyed going to the exhibits in the Kerr Scott Building. He had a bag for him and one for Charlie. then we would go around and get coloring/activity books, stickers, NCSU tattoos, pencils, rulers & notepads. The first 45 minutes of the trip home they spent going through their bags- Charlie colored with a pink hi-lighter that he got & Rosty did all the mazes and activities in the books. Then they both fell asleep.
Me & Lee got to enjoy some peace & quiet on the way home- the first we had all day...trust me! We also found a Starbucks and used a gift card that I had...yummy pumpkin spice latte.
I almost forgot the weather was perfect fair weather. Not too hot and not too cold. We all had jackets or sweaters but it was great.
I took a few pictures that I'll post tomorrow.

No comments: