Anyone who knows me knows that I love animals. I always had cats growing up...lots of cats. The when I was 12 years old I asked for a goat for Christmas. I did not get the goat but I got a dog and that has started my lifelong love of dogs and always having dogs for pets.
So, on Sunday afternoon when I noticed that the ewe (female sheep) that had given birth to twins the day before was not letting one of her lambs nurse I went to into Farmer's Wife mode. I tried to put the lamb with the mom to make her nurse & the mom would kick her or nose her away. So you guessed it we have a new resident at our house. She is occupying our hallway bathroom for a few weeks.
Some of you may remember that in April 2009 we had a similar situation with a baby lamb who we named Cupcake. Cupcake's story was a little different because she was born when it was cold outside and her mom left her by herself. When Lee found her she was hungry & cold. He didn't think she would make it but I told him to bring her to me at work and I would try to save her. With the help of 2 of my co-workers we warmed her by using Ziploc bags filled with warm water and tried to feed her electrolytes. After a few hours she came around & she was the first resident of Hospital Menius.
Cupcake now lives at the farm with the other sheep. At first she did not want to stay with the sheep because she thought she was human but she has adjusted nicely. Some days she follows us around like a puppy dog and other days she just wants to be a sheep and ignores us.
So now we are introducing our new addition.........
Poundcake







No comments:
Post a Comment