I know as parents we all have those moments with our kids. Last night I was attempting to can the apples we brought back from our trip to Asheville. The boys had been playing and had not given me a thought until I began working on the apples. I was making apple preserves (which I have never done) so first I had to peel the apples, then core the apples, next I had to mix the apples with some lemon juice and water and bring to a boil...add pectin....add sugar...anyway you get the picture. It takes a few minutes to do all the steps plus you need to keep a watch on the apples so you don't scorch them. Well, the boys decide they should bring all their toys to the kitchen and play right in front of me. I convince them to play on the table. Then Charlie decides he wants grits. Nothing will do unitl he has grits. He cried for about 20 minutes straight even after I fixed his grits, got him a Band-Aid for his "boo-boo" and he talked to Grandma Sherry. Of course Rosty decides he needs grits too. Rosty also picks this time to give me a big hug and say "Mommy, thank you for not being mean to me." What... Is someone being mean to you?? I have no clue where that came from.
Well, I eventaully get my apples ready to go in the jars. I followed the recipe so why did I fill up only 3 jars instead of 6 jars. I guess I didn't follow the recipe too good, huh?? No actually I did but I used pint jars instead of jelly jars (which are half-pints). Oh well.....
I hope to can some apple wedges tonight & my neighbor brought me 4.5 pounds of cranberries back from Massachusetts. I found a cranberry sauce recipe. I know what what my contribution to Thanksgiving dinner is going to be.
Lee was at a meeting last night so he missed all the fun! But this is how I ended my night and now you'll know why I love my kids.....
The boys had both had a bath. I went to the kitchen (with Charlie) to get something to drink. Rosty's instructions were to brush his teeth. As I walked back into my bedroom I said, "Rosty lets go to bed."
He say, "But I haven't brushed my teeth yet."
As I was walking into the bathroom I say, "Why not- ROSTY!!!!" The child had a handful of markers in the bathroom and had drawn on his face and stomach. Hindsight, I wish I wuold have taken a picture. Like I said he had been out of the bathtub for like 5 minutes. I take the toothbrush and toothpaste out of his hand laid it down and start cleaning him up...again. After I finish I turn around and Charlie is standing behind me. He has taken the toothpaste. It is in his mouth and he is squeezing it out. I have no clue how much Dr. Suess toothpaste he ate!
I know I will have lots more stories like this to share throughout the years. But I do love them with all my heart. I thank God everyday for them.
A Year at the Farm In Photos
12 years ago


1 comment:
Mean...you mean? Hehe...great story. It's funny how sometimes they just do things that drive us crazy adn then hte next they are the sweetest boys ever! What would we do without them?
Post a Comment