Thursday, February 26, 2009

Books

I love to read!
I have always been a reader even as a small child. I would participate in the Summer Reading Program at our local library and was always one of the top readers reading above and beyond the amount of books i needed to read.
When I was in 4th Grade I took the encyclopedias in our class and read them one by one. Although, I don't think any of that information stuck with me!!!!
I have to want to read though. I did not enjoy Literature class in high school or college because I did not get to chose those books. In college, I read at least one book a week. I guess I had a pretty boring social life........
Lately, the only books I have been reading are about Thomas the Tank Engine, Curious George or something by Dr. Seuss.
But that's alright because one day my baby boys aren't going to want me to read to them and I hope they will remember all the times that I did read to them. Charlie knows a lot of the stories by memory (like Rosty did ) and he pretends that he is reading the books to me sometimes.
I hope that the boys will like to read. Lee does a lot of reading about farm-related issues. He has a nightstand full of books from the Storey's Animal Guides to Joel Salatin books.
I prefer mystery suspense books. I use to really enjoy Patricia Cornwell books- the Kay Scarpetta series but to me she has gotten a little dark.
I have read all the Sue Grafton books.
I call them the alphabet books. A is for Alibi, B is for Burglar, C is for Corpse..... her last book was T is for Trespassing.
Then of course I got caught up in the Harry Potter series.
I have read all the books and have the movies too.
Speaking of movies I have read a lot of books that are SO MUCH better than the movies. The one that stands out in my mind 'The Green Mile.'
I was in Marshall's a few weeks ago and found a book called 'The Mysterious Benedict Society.'
I finished it last night and now I am going to have to get the sequel.
My next read is 'The Secret Life of Bees.'
I'm still in the first chapter so no review yet.
I'm hoping to read more this year. I try to read at least one chapter before I go to bed every night. So I'm not reading books as quickly as I did in college but I'm getting to do something that I really enjoy!
Let me know if you have read a book that you think I would enjoy.

No comments: