Wednesday, March 4, 2009

How I spent my child-free week-end

This past week-end we arranged for my parents to have some grandparent bonding time with the boys! We met them in Raleigh on Thursday night (because we had a delivery to make in Chapel Hill) and then met them again on Sunday afternoon in Laurinburg.
This was the first time that me and Lee have been at our house for more than a few hours without kids. We have been on a few overnight trips that the kids were not with us but never at our house. It was very, very quite and even though the boys weren't there I still watched Thomas the Tank Engine as I folded clothes..... I know I'm sad!
As I mentioned earlier we had a delivery in Chapel Hill so we asked my parents to meet us in Raleigh. We met at a gas station made the exchange and we were gone.
When I talked to moma the next day I asked how the trip home went. She said good until the DVD battery died and Charlie lost it (she didn't realize the adapter was in their bag). Charlie realized there was no more DVD player and no mommy! She finally got him to calm down by telling him to look for mommy and daddy in the van. Poor baby!!
By the time me and Lee got home we collapsed. Truth be told I don't remember the last 20 minutes of the trip I'm just glad Lee was awake enough to get us home.
Friday morning we get to sleep in later than usual. We had both taken the day off and I had plans but so did Lee and his plans were not my plans. We sent his brother on a mission- another delivery to Raleigh. Then we head to the farm. The plan was to plant onions but Lee had to till up the garden and all of this needed to be done before his 11 o'clock conference call. So when you have a plan what usually happens? In this case rain. The onions did not get planted.
Next stop- the greenhouse.
We plant several trays of various vegetables. For the second time I might add. We have a friend that has taken up residency in the greenhouse- a mouse. The first time we planted he dug up all our seeds and ate them!
It's about 2 o'clock now & we head home for lunch.
I take a shower, do some laundry, etc.
Next stop- sheep.
Since we got our new dog Annie she has been missing the sheep she used to guard so we got her a present. She now has 3 ewes and a wether (castrated male sheep) to guard. The sheep were caught up when we got there but getting them sorted and on the trailer was a different story. I should say getting the ones we wanted on the trailer........
All 3 ewes should be bred so we should have baby lambs this spring. Which means cute pics with the kids and a different meat to offer at the Farmer's Market.
Next stop- Stag & Doe.
This actually has nothing to do with deer.
Stag & Doe is a local restaurant and we got to go out with our neighbors for a nice meal.
After picking up the sheep, then dropping them off and feeding it was after 8 o'clock before we got home but our neighbors still went to eat with us.
SATURDAY
It was a rainy mess today. We had several people coming to the farm this morning to pick up various things so we needed to be around. Lee went and got a couple of ton of rock to put down where the tractors and the trucks come in and out of the pasture.
Since we were soaked to the bone we went home to shower and eat lunch.
We then go to Southern States to get more seeds & to the grocery store.
The weatherman was predicting snow on Sunday so every person in the county was at the grocery store.........
After putting the groceries away we get another call to meet someone at the farm. So we are back out there by 3 o'clock. As you can tell I had a very nice relaxing week-end with no kids!
It's still raining. We have to make our rounds at the farm. We get soaked again.
We must really love this farming stuff.
The night ended well though. We had a nice meal of lamb chops, filet, and New York Strip. We do occasionally get to eat some of our steaks! Lee did all of the cooking. We also had roasted potatoes and white asparagus. He also made some yummy guacamole!!! I could have just eaten that and nothing else.
SUNDAY
We called my parents and asked them to meet us around lunch time because the weatherman was calling for 4 to 7 inches of snow.
We had a muddy mess at the farm due to all the rain.
We lost 3 baby pigs.
I had a wonderful week-end with my husband even though most of it I was either freezing cold or wet or both.
The boys had a great time with my parents and did not want to come home.

No comments: