Last year I really became a lot more environmentally conscience about a lot of things. I recycle everything that I can- I even go behind Lee, the kids, the guys at work and take things out of the trashcan to recycle. I bring my own bags when I go shopping. I have started making some of my own cleaning products- distilled white vinegar, baking soda, club soda- you'd be surprised the everyday things around your house you can use to clean.
Every little bit that we can do helps out our environmental and helps to leave a better world for our kids.
Another form of recycling is not to buy it new. I have started going to the Goodwill Store. I have found some really good deals (see list below).
Several of the things I have gotten I figured that an elderly person has passed away and their family boxed everything up and sent it to Goodwill. I regularly donate to Goodwill and the things I send are clothes the kids have outgrown, clothes that me & Lee do not wear anymore, household items that are no longer used, etc.......
Here are a few of the things that I have found:
A water bath canner (for quart size jars) $8
An enamelware baking sheet/tray $2
An orange juice reamer with glass catch basin $3
(Made in the USA- we estimated circa 1970's)
Baskets $1
(I put the marmalade & apple preserves that I canned in the baskets and gave them as Christmas gifts)
Coffee Dispenser $1
(I was super excited about this! It will be great to take to the Farmer's Market)
Men's Carhartt duck overalls $5
(These are for me- they are men's size small so they are a little big and a little long but I am going to use them as coveralls at the farm. They are about $60 new)
I also go to a children's consignment store on a regular basis. For those of you with boys, you know that once they get a certain age the clothes are worn out, have holes and stains so I do not buy a lot of clothes there but I have gotten Charlie 2 pair of tennis shoes there recently. His Cars tennis shoes (with Lightening McQueen) were $3 and I got another pair of Teva's last week for $2.75. I also got the boys 3 books and a Diego DVD for $6.
I do buy new items but it's nice to get good deals on gently used items too!
A Year at the Farm In Photos
12 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment